Notice: Notice and Opportunity to Comment on Requests for Consistency – Texas General Land Office
Texas Coastal Management Program Federal Evaluation for June 2014 to August 2022
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Office for Coastal Management is conducting an evaluation of the Texas Coastal Management Program for the period from June 2014 to August 2022.
The Texas Coastal Management Program is part of the National Coastal Zone Management Program, a voluntary partnership between the federal government and the coastal states that was established by the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972. NOAA provides funding, national guidance, and technical assistance, while lead state agencies administer the coastal programs.
Purpose of the Evaluation
The Coastal Zone Management Act calls for the periodic evaluation of all federally approved coastal management programs. Each evaluation assesses the operation and management of the program and how the state is addressing the national coastal zone management objectives contained in Section 303(2) of the act, how it is implementing and enforcing the state coastal management program, and how well it is adhering to the terms and conditions of federal financial assistance awards.
In this evaluation, the team will prepare a set of findings that identifies the Texas Coastal Management Program’s successes and areas needing improvement. Recommendations from the findings are used to negotiate future Coastal Zone Management Act financial assistance awards to the state. Copies of the findings will be available in fall 2022 and will be sent to evaluation participants. Members of the public may request copies by contacting the evaluation team lead (see contact information below) or by indicating so on the public meeting sign-in sheet.
Public participation is a valued part of the evaluation process, and the evaluation team would like to hear the views of all interested parties. For this evaluation, the team is particularly interested in these areas:
- Coastal grants program administration
- Coordination with networked agencies
- Coastal resilience initiatives
The Coastal Zone Management Act provides three mechanisms for public participation in the evaluation process:
- Meeting with the evaluation team
- Attending the public meeting
- Submitting written comments
A virtual public meeting will be held to solicit public comments on Wednesday, August 17, 2022, at 5:00
p.m. Please contact Ralph.Cantral@noaa.gov to register to participate. You may also submit written comments for inclusion in the findings to Mr. Ralph Cantral, the evaluation team leader, at the same email address no later than August 26, 2022.
- Ralph Cantral, Manager
- Evaluation and Compliance Program NOAA Office for Coastal Management Charleston, South Carolina Ralph.Cantral@noaa.gov
- Kristin Ransom, Coastal Management Specialist NOAA Office for Coastal Management
- Stennis Space Center, Mississippi Kristin.Ransom@noaa.gov
- Rebecca Allee, PhD, Senior Scientist NOAA Office for Coastal Management Stennis Space Center, Mississippi Becky.Allee@noaa.gov
- Mark Hogan, Coastal Resource Scientist Supervisor Louisiana Department of Natural Resources Office of Coastal Management Mark.Hogan@la.gov
Comments should be directed to Ralph.Cantral@noaa.gov.
Send a comment about this notice to the GLO
You will be redirected to the Public Notice list.